Calling-related issues with Yahoo! Messenger such as:
- Poor sound quality for Voice Calls
- Poor video quality for Video Calls
- Error when trying to place Video Call
Below are some troubleshooting steps that have resolved this issue for other customers experiencing similar problems:
First, try running the "Call Setup Assistant."
If running Call Setup Assistant doesn't resolve the issue, try the following steps to determine whether your audio hardware is working properly with Windows.
On Windows XP:
- Click the Start menu and select Run.
- Type in mmsys.cpl and press Enter. This opens "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties."
- Select the Voice tab.
- Click the Test hardware button. This opens the "Sound Hardware Test Wizard."
- Follow the instructions to test your audio hardware to make sure it can properly play sounds and capture your voice.
On Windows Vista/Windows 7:
- Click the Start menu and select Run. If you do not see the Run command, then select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
- Type in mmsys.cpl and press Enter. This opens Sound.
- On the Playback tab, select your speakers and click Configure.
- A "Speaker Setup" window should appear. Follow the instructions to test your audio hardware to make sure it can properly play sounds.
- Click OK to close the Sound utility.
- Click the Start menu and select Run again.
- Type in the following command and then press Enter: %WinDir%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX
- This will open "Set up Speech Recognition". Follow the instructions to test your audio hardware to make sure it can properly capture your voice.
If your audio hardware still isn't working properly after these tests, please contact the company that made your computer.